Caroline's South African Adventures

Snapshots of my life and experiences in KwaZulu Natal. Welcome to South Africa!

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Too hot for pancakes?

Happy Pancake Day, Mardi Gras etc etc …

Not wanting to break with British tradition, I planned to make and enjoy some pancakes today. I hadn’t banked on it being the hottest day of the year so far, with temperatures around 44 degrees C, crazy weather. It was beautifully sunny though, just too hot to be outside. Severely dangerous weather warnings for the North of KZN where I guess you risk dehydration and all sorts just by existing… The heat wave’s here for a few days, which is why it’s about 25 degrees out now (at 10.30pm!) I’m glad this weather will only last for a week or so, it’s quite draining. Am off to Cape Town on Saturday so it might be a bit cooler there…

But I did manage to make some pancakes, guestimating the measurements for the ingredients. And they turned out well… I recommend cinnamon and honey, a fine combination. No-one else here bothered though, just me to hold the pancake fort for the whole of South Africa maybe?!

It must be the inspiration of going to an Anglican church on Sunday evening that reminded me about Lent and all that. Usually I don’t really bother, but I think I am going to give up chocolate this year. It’s not long really, and my family are here for Easter so I reckon a chocolate fast and general detox are in order. So my birthday chocolate is safely packed away unopened in a box in my wardrobe, to be munched at Easter (I’m sure Liz and Rob will help me, won’t you?!) and full steam ahead into Lent we go…

And as for something to take on at Lent (much better than just being in denial), I think I’ll make it a regular habit, ie daily, to put on the full armour of God (Ephesians 6), as it is actually a vital habit for all Christians and I’m fed up of being attacked on all levels…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home