Caroline's South African Adventures

Snapshots of my life and experiences in KwaZulu Natal. Welcome to South Africa!

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Habbakuk and the like...


I've been hanging out in the lesser-known Biblical book of Habbakuk over the past few days (it's snuggled in between Nahum and Zephaniah). It's a great encouragement when one is battling a bit of depression. Well, perhaps more likely melancholi-ness (have I just invented a word?).


Although I'm back to work today, I was exhausted by lunch time and feeling quite sad, which is unusual for me, can't put my finger on why. I wonder if it could be a cross-cultural moment, which is quite normal. In any case, I hope I work it out sooner rather than later. I might run out of tissues...


But anyway, Habbakuk. I'm no theologian, but I appreciate verses like these to remind me to keep my chin up (in true British fashion):


"Though the fig-tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the field produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet will I rejoice in the LORD, I will be joyful in Christ my Saviour.

The Sovereign LORD is my strength, he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to go on the heights." (Hab 3:17-19)


I'm hoping my weekend off will put me in a better place. At least that it will be a chance to relax and unwind and bring all anxieties before the Lord and leave them there. If you pray, please do, using this as an update. Thanks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home