Caroline's South African Adventures

Snapshots of my life and experiences in KwaZulu Natal. Welcome to South Africa!

Saturday, February 24, 2007

A change of scene...


This is the view from the guest house just outside a tiny place called Klapmuts, where I’ll be for the next week.(weekend off then Life-skills workshop and meetings) From my room I have the most amazing view down the valley between the Stellenbosch mountains range, which makes up for the fact that the room is half as wide as it is high. Weird. Think about it.
People say that Cape Town is a bit different from the rest of South Africa, but you wouldn’t know it from the shanty town surrounding the airport. I haven’t had time to check out the centre yet, but I did drive down to Stellenbosch to investigate one of the best Universities in the country.
The town of Stellenbosch is definitely a university town. It’s very leafy with lots of shops and places to hang out and has a definite vibe to it. To get there I drove through a windy and pleasant road through the vineyards in the late afternoon sunshine. The views were breathtaking and I could easily have been in Europe by the names of the vineyards ‘Le Bonheur’, ‘L’Avenir’, even ‘Warwick’… Wine Routes are, however, pointless when you can’t taste any of it due to avoiding drinking and driving...
It does seem, though, that residents of the town of Stellenbosch don’t understand 4-way stops. There’s an implicit ‘whoever gets there first, goes first’ rule about them which was overlooked by at least 2 drivers this afternoon. I have no intention of scratching the lovely silver Yaris that’s been hired for me over the next few days…
I really needed to get away for a few days, I’m still battling sore throat, cough and other yucky ‘run-down’ symptoms. I’m starting to tire of filling the doctor’s pockets with cash and I need a rest. A change is as good as a rest, apparently, so I’m putting that to the test at the moment, but there was something very mellow about listening to relaxing music whilst driving through such beautiful countryside so hopefully I’ll be feeling much better soon…
Tomorrow I’m going to attempt to go to church (if I can find it!) then I’ll be checking out the wonders of Cape Town.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home