Caroline's South African Adventures

Snapshots of my life and experiences in KwaZulu Natal. Welcome to South Africa!

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Slightly out of sync 'first impressions'

First impressions

I’m writing this in my flat on Saturday 9th Sept, although I have no idea when I’ll actually have any semblance of internet connection to post it on my blog, but hey, WELCOME TO AFRICA!!
My first 24 hours at GGA have been quite chilled, getting settled in. I’m still trying to shake a lingering cough and hoping that I won’t just pick up more from the kids to add to it or make it worse. It helps that today is Saturday, when there is less going on here. I spent some time this morning getting to know some of the children better by going to sit with them in their dusty playground outside their lodgings.
The first child who grabbed hold of me, a 5-yr old boy, told me he was looking for snakes and asked me if I supported England, who got kicked out of the World Cup. Was very pleased to tell them that I’m an Italy fan! The same child proceeded to point out some weeds growing up through some stones and tell me this was a garden. It was about at this point that I asked him what he had in his mouth and he opened it to reveal a reasonable size piece of glass!
In an attempt to learn all the names, I’m taking a little notebook round with me to write them down in, I haven’t had chance to write in it myself yet, as they all want to write their own names down and then draw me a picture, so it’s taking a while. They’re also teaching me Zulu words, but I think some could be a bit dodgy, so I’d better be careful when repeating them.
And here’s my first attempt at positive behaviour management. A little girl climbed all over me and was licking the packet of something like ‘Wotsits’, she finished doing so and threw it on the floor. I encouraged her to put it into the bin and she ran off… Never to be outdone by a child, I merely remained seated watching her, considering my next move in the adult-child power struggle, which was handed to me neatly in the next minute as she climbed a tree but got stuck, so I was able to rescue her, carry her back to her rubbish and encourage her to put it in the bin, which she then did… However, checkmate was played by her, as in the process of putting the crisp packet in the bin, she spied a piece of red pepper in there, reached in and scoffed it right in front of me! Disgusting! And yet she still seems quite healthy.
It seems kids will put anything they can find into their mouths. The crèche kids were enjoying some more ‘wotsits’ (have we got a massive donation of them somewhere?!) and a sweet, grubby little one-yr-old kept offering me one. I declined as it had already been in and out of her mouth several times and then rolled in the dust before going back in her mouth slightly darker than before!

My flat is quite nice but basic. I’ve got a living room/bedroom with lots of cupboard space (for all the clothes I didn’t bring), a reasonable size kitchen and bathroom with shower. My friend Heather from Leamington is next-door to me, which is great, although the walls are thin so I can hear all the worship music she is playing, which is also great! From now onwards I shall refer to her as HJ, so as not to confuse with Heather Reynolds (HR) who runs the place.
Yesterday I was taken down the dusty track to the SPAR supermarket in Cato Ridge in a Combi van with the Zulu workers heading home for the weekend. The whole mini shopping complex was full of Zulus shouting and getting their shopping done, especially from the market. I’ve now made a list of things I need to get for the house, such as a sharp knife as today I chopped all my veg using an eating knife about as sharp as a butter knife. Improvisation is the name of the game. I’m going to be cooking for myself, which is probably best given the number of things I can’t eat. Yet I managed to find enough stuff I could eat at the supermarket so that is an answer to prayer!

The other thing you notice up here is the number of animals. I’ve met 4 dogs (out of about 13) and there are at least 4 cats who like hanging out outside our houses. I’m not letting them in though, or there’ll be fleas EVERYWHERE! There’s also a large domesticated sheep called Sunday, and a cockerel has moved in who starts at about 6am and ends about 10am, he decided to take up residence just outside my house, he may not survive… (only joking of course, I love animals!)

Mosquito watch (a new feature where I recount encounters with some of the less-welcome residents of GGA): to count, none J - a large hornet (no relation) flew in at lunchtime but I shouted at it that if it didn’t go out I’d have to kill it (with my blunt butter knife!) and it left! But it’s still technically winter and these creatures come out in the spring with the rains. It’s really pleasantly hot here at the moment (dread to think what it will be like in the middle of summer!)

So that’s me for the moment. Tomorrow I’ll be checking out the Zulu church and seeing what I can contribute to the spiritual upbringing of the kids. There is much need for prayer out here, for God’s grace to flow throughout the place, more on that another time maybe. Then on Monday hopefully I’ll be getting more of an idea of my exact role here as that’s still unclear.

I hope everyone is well, I had a ‘moment’ when setting up yesterday but it got better when I put all my photos up. You can still send me texts on my UK number if you feel like instantly encouraging me, it won’t cost you any more as it’s to the UK, I pay more to write back. I miss everyone like crazy, but I know that I am here for a purpose and I must walk it out.

OK, time to sign off now and go in search of more children to practise my Zulu on! I’ll add some photos when there’s an established connection.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home