Caroline's South African Adventures

Snapshots of my life and experiences in KwaZulu Natal. Welcome to South Africa!

Friday, June 02, 2006

Local publicity - Courier article


Thanks so much to the Leamington Spa Courier for this well-written article about my adventures, on pg4 (not 3 this time ;) ) in the 2nd June edition of the newspaper.
You can also find it on www.leamingtontoday.co.uk
But I've cut and pasted it for your convenience below!

Headteacher to help African orphans
Warwick Gates headteacher Caroline Horn will be leaving the classroom behind for the next two years to help children orphaned by Aids - in the world's worst-hit area.
Miss Horn, who teaches at the Brethren-run Copsewood secondary school in Coventry, will travel to Cato Ridge in South Africa in September where she will work with the God's Golden Acre charity. The organisation, which was founded ten years ago, cares for 96 orphans as well as running outreach projects which help families - many of which are without parents and are headed by the oldest child - in the surrounding valleys cope with everyday life. With a desire to help others and after being inspired by the charity's founder, Miss Horn decided to volunteer.She said: "I was thinking of doing something worthwhile about a year ago and I discovered this charity."It was founded about ten years ago by a woman called Heather Reynolds. When I found out about the charity I read her biography, met her twice when she was giving talks in the UK and decided to get involved."One in three people in the Cato Ridge area is affected by Aids and 36 per cent of the population is HIV positive. Miss Horn, 31, added: "I am looking forward to getting involved with the children. Apparently the orphange is a joyful place. "These children have been through so much and they have created a big family environment for them. They are all Zulu children and they are all being raised within the Zulu culture. "The 96 youngsters there are split into groups and cared for by Zulu people rather than solely Western people coming in and losing their culture."I am looking forward to it as I have decided that is where I need to be. "It is going to be hard to say my goodbyes but with the internet it should be easy to keep in touch."Miss Horn is seeking sponsorship for her forthcoming work in South Africa. If you would like to contribute call 07841 123656 or email carolinehorn@yahoo.com. To find out more about God's Golden Acre visit:www.godsgoldenacre.org.uk
02 June 2006

1 Comments:

  • At Friday, 02 June, 2006, Blogger The Johnson's said…

    Caroline, I think that's fantastic. FYI: The exact link to the article online can be found here.

    Always good to promote yourself - the best I did was to get an article in the parish magazine of my parent's church - so well done. Hope you get a bit more support from this.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home