Caroline's South African Adventures

Snapshots of my life and experiences in KwaZulu Natal. Welcome to South Africa!

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Some more good stuff going on... SOCCER AID

This week, in the run up to the WORLD CUP, there's much more interesting footie going on on ITV1.
SOCCER AID
What follows is taken from the UNICEF website about HIV/AIDS in South Africa.
Robbie Williams went out to visit a family of orphans in KwaZulu Natal, near Durban, when he was out there on tour recently and there's a film of it being shown sometime this week as part of Soccer Aid. Interview in this Saturday's Telegraph magazine. Good article. Bad statistics. Glad I'm involved.

'Looking after children orphaned by AIDS in South Africa

Every minute of every day, one child dies and four children lose a parent because of AIDS-related illness. Already 15 million children have been orphaned by AIDS worldwide.

UNICEF and partners at work

There are an estimated 2 million orphaned children in South Africa, half of whom have lost their mother, father or both parents to HIV/AIDS. Most of these orphans and vulnerable children are taken care of by their extended family, headed mainly by elderly members who often live in poverty. Some are faced with the responsibility of caring for their one remaining parent, sick from AIDS-related illness. Others have to fend for themselves, or take on the burden of looking after their younger siblings.

Many of these children are denied access to education, health care and psychosocial support because of fees, the distance they would need to travel, or lack of knowledge that these services exist. In addition, they are at a higher risk than other children of being exploited through child labour, as well as sexual abuse.

UNICEF and the National Association of Child Care Workers (NACCW) are working together to protect these vulnerable children through a project called “Isibindi; Circles of Care”. It operates in the Imsimbi, Illovo and Bhekawandle communities of Umbumbulu, where the HIV/AIDS rate is an estimated 41.2 per cent.

Seventeen community members have been trained to work daily with families in their homes and help them with, for example, food preparation, homework supervision, grief work, health care, teaching life skills, growing food gardens, gaining access to grants and ensuring that children are enrolled in schools.'

check out more details at:

http://www.unicef.org.uk/socceraid

It seems that some provision is being organised, but there is still a lot more to be done.

2 Comments:

  • At Tuesday, 23 May, 2006, Blogger Miss Phaup said…

    Hey Caroline, was looking for some South African blogs and I came across yours, I havent had a chance to read too much yet, only your last few posts and I just thought I would encourage you, I know you are goig to absolutely love it here, this is am amazing country and you are going to be so utterly blessed and your life will be changed forever from your 2 years here. I would love to know more about what you will be doing, and where about in KZN you will be working. I live in Westville, just outside of Durban, so if you ever feel like you need a friendly face,someone to go shopping with or even just want to connect with a church, let me know.
    If you have any questions about living here please just ask, I dont mind answering. I liked your post on isiZulu sayings...I learnt isiZulu for 2 years in primary school and I have also done a year of it at University...it is very interesting, and trust me the clicks arent that hard...you will pick it up easily once you are here and are exposed to it on a continuous basis.
    Anyway..I just thought I would drop by and say hi:)
    Cheers, Michelle
    Oh and my email is moo_rules78@hotmail.com drop me a line anytime:)

     
  • At Tuesday, 23 May, 2006, Blogger Caroline said…

    Thanks Michelle! I've emailed you ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home