Caroline's South African Adventures

Snapshots of my life and experiences in KwaZulu Natal. Welcome to South Africa!

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Reality bites

Sunday was a special church lunch day followed by presentation by 2 couples from our church who've been out to Uganda recently to visit the orphanage where St. Paul's sponsors some orphans. It was a great occasion and brilliant for those who sponsor kids to actually see how they are getting on and how their donations have transformed the lives of these kids.
There was a video of the trip. As it began, a lady from church turned to me and said 'I bet you're dying to get out there now aren't you?' I nodded, but as the film continued, the realisation of the magnitude of what I'm doing came out of nowhere and hit me.
Watching hippos grazing at the roadside and then hoardes of happy children bouncing around in front of the camera, it looked great. The trip lasted a couple of weeks. The thought that I'll be there for 2 years, not 2 weeks, popped into my head!
I'm not worried especially. I know I am fulfilling the calling on my life and that this is the next step on God's path for me. Yet the awesomeness of the fact that I am in fact packing up my life here and moving to a completely different continent and a culture I can't even begin to understand is dawning on me.
I love different cultures. I know I'll get the most massive culture shock. I've done my 'cross-cultural mission' studies and know the cycles. I suppose that will help me to assess what I'm going to experience. It's going to be so amazing, so horrific and so challenging but also so much of a blessing to me and to others... a totally life-changing experience.

I can't wait. ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home