Caroline's South African Adventures

Snapshots of my life and experiences in KwaZulu Natal. Welcome to South Africa!

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Ngikhuluma isiZulu

Sawubona!

I figured that if I write the odd random phrase in Zulu, I'll read it often when I'm reading back through my blog and it will stick in my memory. Kind of a cunning language learning technique. Feel free to learn it too... see if you can spot linguistic patterns... (a little hobby of mine ;-) )

Ngikufisela impilontle nempilonde ngokukhumbula usuku lokuzalwa kwakho!
Happy Birthday!

(Lit: I wish you a pleasant life and a long life with remembering your birthday)

Ngikufisela unwele olude!
May you live long

(Lit: I wish for you long hair)

uKhisimuzi omuhle nonyaka omusha omuhle
Happy Christmas and a prosperous new year

Impilontle
cheers

Halala! Wenze kahle
Congratulations! You have done well.

2 Comments:

  • At Thursday, 18 May, 2006, Blogger Martin said…

    any clicks in these phrases?

     
  • At Sunday, 21 May, 2006, Blogger Caroline said…

    don't think so
    but you never know...

    am improving at the clicks but I'm sure the zulu children will come up with a nickname for me along the lines of 'the woman who tries hard but seriously can't click in Zulu' !!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home