Caroline's South African Adventures

Snapshots of my life and experiences in KwaZulu Natal. Welcome to South Africa!

Sunday, December 03, 2006

Bad day?

I don’t get ‘bad day’s very often, so they seem to have more of a profound effect on me when they do arrive. Friday, for example, was full of spectacularly annoying moments, starting early at a Breakfast meeting where I risked eating a croissant (full of the wrong things for me to eat) and the combination of soaring insulin levels with a medical talk on ARV’s and blood nearly ended in medical treatment being sought as I came that close to keeling over…
Following on from that, a simple trip to Tala along a country road ended up with me crawling along a mountain ridge in my car trying desperately to call anyone who could give me directions, and getting ‘line busy’ all the time… I did eventually find the place, I had been going completely the wrong way, but the journey should have taken me 15 minutes and actually took me over an hour.
Then (and this was the most frustrating ;-) ) I totally failed to see any rhino, giraffe or warthogs in the game park, having to content myself with zebra, nyalas, buffalo and ostriches, although I did see a hippo yawning in the lake, from a distance. For a small yet well-stocked game park, it was frustrating not to have more time to search, they are in there somewhere!
I was well ready for my weekend off and arrived to pick up my friends to set off and discovered I had a flat tyre, that couldn’t be moved even with 4 Zulu guys trying their hardest. Thankfully I have roadside assistance, which took rather a long time to arrive, as I was deep in the valley and not on marked roads. However, with the use of a big plank of wood and some brute force, they managed to get the tyre off my car and change it.
Delay to start of weekend away – 3 hours.
Then we discovered one of our bags was locked in an office and had to drive to find someone to come and open up again… it did seem at one point that we’d never leave.
We arrived in Durban at our backpackers several hours later than planned, having driven through irritating misty rain and having missed the turning for the place as well. I was so tired that I could have slept anywhere. Perhaps it was a good thing that I was so tired, as I didn’t notice the enormous cockroaches until this morning as I was packing to leave!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home