Caroline's South African Adventures

Snapshots of my life and experiences in KwaZulu Natal. Welcome to South Africa!

Monday, March 20, 2006

we are all involved...

'Leo Tolstoy, the Russian novelist and social critic, met a beggar one morning.
Embarrassed that he had no money to give, Tolstoy said to the beggar:
"I'm sorry, my brother, I have no money."
And he began walking away.
Barely audibly, the beggar called after him:
"Thank you."
Tolstoy turned around and told him:
"I didn't give you anything."
The beggar replied:
"But you called me brother."

Surely, this is our job, as Christians, to be a brother or sister to those who are affected by AIDS, often dying alone, abandoned by their families, or leaving behind vulnerable family members. The statistics about AIDS are horrific, but sometimes they just numb us to the individual stories behind each case. We are called to demonstrate love and compassion.
As I read this book, see below, I am struck by the way in which the church has been blind to the plight of those who need help, love and compassion. How it has been preached in many churches about AIDS being judgement from God for sin etc etc... Thankfully the tide of truth has turned and God's people are realising that it affects every type of person. In the paper this weekend, it was reported that a pastor in Kenya publically apologised for preaching against those with AIDS. But our role is one of reconciliation not judgement. To walk alongside our brothers and sisters. In GGA, some children have passed on from sicknesses, yet they have died with dignity and they haven't died alone or abandonded, but surrounded by love.
I often ponder what it will be like to be in that environment. I can't imagine what it must be like being there when/if a child loses its fight for life... it will be so tragic, and yet the rhythm of life goes on, there are so many more children who need love and acceptance. When a child dies at GGA, they sing somthing like a song about another star being born, and about that child walking with Jesus. So even through tragedy, hope continues. The Zulu word for hope is 'Themba', it's going to be a very important word in my vocabulary.

story taken from 'The Hope Factor: Engaging the church in the HIV/AIDS crisis' and excellent and challenging book that I'm sure I'll quote from again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home