Caroline's South African Adventures

Snapshots of my life and experiences in KwaZulu Natal. Welcome to South Africa!

Sunday, January 08, 2006

Recurring quotes...

Back in 1995, on a windy beach at Butlin's in Skegness, I was reminded of, and profoundly challenged and inspired by, the following quote from a missionary called Jim Elliott:

'He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose'

This quote has returned to me several times over the years. Hear that in a sermon and I'm reminded of the cost it takes to be a true disciple. Being a Christian is not easy. Sometimes I'm not that happy about the thought of leaving all the comforts of Leamington Life behind, but somehow there's an inner conviction in me that assures me that this is the path that I should walk.
I often wonder if it's easier to go and do something outwardly obvious such as working abroad for the Lord, than it is to stay and be a believer in the normality, the here and now, the humdrum everyday existence.
I've been in a place where I had to totally rely on God's provision, it was scary and then absolutely amazing when God provided time and time again for everything. He is faithful and when he calls us to do something, he provides everything, even the most trivial aspects.
When God is all you've got, and all other avenues are shut off, that is the place of blessing, as He loves to provide and to be recognised as the provider.
As I start to get organised about fund and support raising,
I have this basic truth in place: God is faithful, he will provide.

If ask you for help at some point in the next few months, financially or prayerfully or otherwise, and you can't help, it's ok. God has it in his plan and he will act to make sure that everything is covered. At this precise moment, I don't need to know where the money is coming from for my flight or the rest. Like the secret service, it's a need-to-know basis... To some that might seem like madness, to me it's cool, it's practical outworking of living by faith.

Which reminds me of the other quote that is relevant to me going abroad, given to me by a friend as I left mission in Italy back in 2001 and which I have never understood until now:

'Blessed are those whose strength is in you,
who have set their heart on pilgrimage.
As they pass through the Valley of Baca (death/weeping),
they make it a place of springs;
the autumn rains also cover it with pools.
They go from strength to strength,
till each appears before God in Zion.'
(Psalm 84v5-7)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home