Caroline's South African Adventures

Snapshots of my life and experiences in KwaZulu Natal. Welcome to South Africa!

Thursday, December 22, 2005

new baby

no, not my niece, cute as she is..

today is a momentous day, my new laptop has arrived and with it much joy!

you see, I've been trying to obtain one of these for many years now and it is a tale of much woe.

back in my comprehensive days it seemed that everyone else in my dept had an excuse to be given a school laptop and I, as a humble French teacher, did not qualify...
oh the cruelty and abuse I suffered in having to endure everyone else in my office tapping away whilst I was reduced to pleading with the windows 95BC version that threatened to slip into a coma every breaktime... oh the torture of watching one-finger-typing Roger gloat while he painfully slowly typed up a worksheet...
And then to move to a school where the very mention of the word computer brings people out in a cold sweat and makes them dive into prayer for deliverance from the evil of the world...
(for the internet is the homeland of the devil, don't you know???!?!?!)

But today, oh joyful of joyful days, at 10.03am, my techy life was changed for ever with the arrival of my beautiful ACER ASPIRE 1690WLMi does everything but make the tea laptop with bluetooth and Wi-Fi etc etc
and, just like the interminable wait for my husband to get his act together and show up...
it has SO been worth the wait
for this laptop is more amazing than any secondrate DFES offering could ever be.
I suddenly feel the responsibility of caring for a new creation, Norton Anti-virus has a point, broadband feels like a possible future reality, my CD collection will be alphabetised... all those options that previously were things I should have done but couldn't be bothered about are now very much top priority.

Mother and baby doing very well indeed.

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home