Caroline's South African Adventures

Snapshots of my life and experiences in KwaZulu Natal. Welcome to South Africa!

Sunday, December 31, 2006

Happy New Year !



I was trying to put together a review of the year 2006 but it's hard to remember much about life before Africa!



Magic memories include:



  • discovering the wonders of Napoli and surroundings with Rachel at Easter
  • the joys and trials of being a Headteacher and succesfully completing my time at Copsewood School
  • my first (and last) experience of 'speed dating' at New wine in July (!)
  • getting a great tan at afore-mentioned New wine, so much so it felt like I'd been to the South of France not sunny Somerset
  • All the preparations for Africa and finally coming out here and settling at GGA. Thanks for all your support!

Since I've been here there's been some highlights too:

  • the crazy little moments with the kids here at GGA, as they do what kids do best and just be themselves - they make me laugh constantly with their little games.
  • feeling like royalty as I presented soccer trophies in the valley to zulu teams
  • the warmth and friendliness of the Zulu people, and their gorgeous kids - everyone who waves at me as I drive my toyota throught the valley roads - there aren't many white faces there, but I feel really at home there.
  • driving a combi down into the breathtaking valley of Kwa Ximba with most of the Young Zulu Warriors choir in the back singing loudly
  • chameleons - it's apparently 'good luck' to see one - I've seen 4!
  • my Zulu boyfriend (yes, I kept that one quiet - and continue to do so too! ;-) ) and the joys and challenges of cross-cultural relationships (something I've felt God calling me into since about 6 years ago, still don't feel prepared though!) He's an up-and-coming rap/hip-hop artist and actor, totally not 'my type' - that's all you're finding out for the moment...
  • ending up in Jo'burg the same day as a good friend from the UK so we could catch up
  • discovering that Jude Law is actually a really nice person (don't believe all you read in the press!)
  • spending Christmas Day in the Valley with some great people.
  • All singing in Zulu, worshipping and dancing - it blows me away every time
  • the sheer beauty of South Africa, the Indian Ocean and the dramatic mountains (and I haven't even seen half of KZN, let alone the rest of the country)
  • the knowledge that little by little I'm contributing to helping to improve the lives of some of God's precious children out here in SA.

I'm sure there's much much more...

I've opted for a quiet New Year, choosing to stay in with my cat and a tv that I've borrowed instead of heading for the valleys. The 'World Music Awards' on SABC3 are quite hilarious, although it's from London there are awards for 'Best Italian Artist' and, even more weird, 'Best Russian Pop Artist'... Since when did the Brits care about the Russian pop scene? There was only one nominee, never heard of him! But it's good to have a TV to watch, even temporarily.

Plus there are SO MANY drunk drivers around that it's safer to stay in. Driving home on Christmas Day through the valley we had to negotiate passing many many drunk people, and even more concerning, children. They were walking but there are many who drive too. The police are having a field day hauling people in for drink driving. In one stretch in Durban over a few days around Christmas over 70 drivers were found to be over the limit. So, all in all, much better idea to celebrate new year with Beyonce, Michael Jackson and Cleo the cat (who is DEFINITELY pregnant and sleeping all the time, when not miaowing for food!)

I might be quiet for a few days as it's my week off and tomorrow I'm off for some rest and relaxation in St Lucia, up North from here. Near to Hluhluwe-Umfolozi Game Reserve (where the Big 5 hang out), so expect more animal pictures in the not so distant future...

Anyway, Thank you SO MUCH for all your love, support and prayers during 2006. I hope and pray that you have a safe and happy new year and that 2007 brings you all you desire. 2006 was the year of ACTION, 2007 is yet to define itself, but it will be full of fun and challenges for us all I'm sure!

1 Comments:

  • At Tuesday, 02 January, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Caroline

    I've tried writing several times and the emails get sent back.

    I am planning on coming March 5th and Returning home 6 months later in September.

    Couple of questions:
    Do you feel safe when you travel on your days off? do you go into Durban, or play on the beach or game reserves?
    I keep hearing about the dangers, but I have a hard time believing it could be so bad.


    Also: I still haven't finalized my flight plans (am waiting on a very good deal to come along) Do you think arriving at 7pm or later is a bad idea? Should I try and arrive before 5pm?


    How much money do suspect you've spent? Do you make all your own food?
    I'm trying to budget and it's hard!

    Can't wait to meet you in just a few months!
    -melissa
    melissat@bishopsbs.com

     

Post a Comment

<< Home